Michigan Department of Education Teacher Certification

January 10, 2018
Department of Education

2. How do I apply for a Michigan teaching certificate?

One must apply using the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS - pronounced "moe-ex"). The system is used by individuals to apply for, or renew, teaching certificates. School districts and/or staffing agencies use the system for permits, annual occupational authorizations, and school nurse certificates. Michigan college and university certification offices use MOECS to recommend initial certificates and endorsements. Access MOECS by visiting: . A login name and password is required. Once you are at the log in screen, you will need to click "Create new Login Name/Password" if you have not previously accessed the system. This will take you to the Michigan Education Information System (MEIS) which creates all Login names and passwords. Print your confirmation page MEIS provides, as you will need the information when registering into MOECS the first time.

3. How do I renew my certificate?

You renew your certificate by logging into MOECS, updating your personal information, add your professional learning, and following the application steps. Details on renewal requirements are available in the "Facts on Educator Certification In Michigan" document located at the teacher certification homepage. If you have not previously accessed your MOECS certification account, you will need to create a MEIS account and self-register before you can log on to MOECS.

6. I submitted my application and the status now indicates WAITING FOR DOCUMENTS. What does that mean?

MOECS creates a cover letter that is specific to your application. Click on the application number and generate the cover letter to be printed. It includes a checklist of documents and instructions for submitting your complete packet. You may also review the Criteria for Accurate Teacher Certificate Application Documentation document. Once all documentation has been received, scanned, and uploaded, you will see the status of your application change to PENDING EVALUATION.

7. How do I verify three years of teaching experience when applying for a professional education certificate?

The experience report form is found in the "Forms" area within your MOECS account. Use additional forms when experience is with multiple employers.

8. How do I apply for a Michigan teaching certificate if I completed my program and/or received my certificate in another state?

Create a MEIS account and self-register in MOECS and then submit a certificate application. Once you submit the application and pay the non-refundable evaluation fee, print your MOECS generated application cover letter and mail with the specified documents as one complete packet. A staff consultant will review your packet for determination.

9. What certification tests do I have to take?

If you completed your program in Michigan, you may receive that information from the certification office at your institution. If you are coming from out of state, or completed an out of state program, you will be notified of the testing requirements once an evaluation of your certification application packet has been completed. Required test(s) determination will not be made prior to evaluation.

Source: www.michigan.gov
Teacher Certification 2014 A
Teacher Certification 2014 A
Secondary Teacher Preparation - Initial Certificate
Secondary Teacher Preparation - Initial Certificate
5/8/12 State Board of Education meeting: Steve Kelly, St
5/8/12 State Board of Education meeting: Steve Kelly, St ...
Share this Post