Important Note: Education licensure requirements and salary statistics (for teachers and administrators) are subject to change. CertificationMap.com makes its best effort to keep content accurate; however, the official sources are the state education departments. Please confirm licensing requirements with your state before applying for licensure or renewal. Last updated: 1/06/2015
In order to be deemed eligible for Alabama State teacher certification, an application comprised of the following materials must be completed and returned to the Teacher Certification Section of the Office of Teaching and Learning:
- Application for Alabama certification.
- Non-refundable $30 application fee made payable to the Alabama State Department of Education
- Official transcript(s) of all degrees and credits earned, sent in sealed envelopes from the institution(s)
- Background clearance: Applicants for teaching certification who have not been cleared by both the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are required to be fingerprinted as part of a criminal history background check
- Supplemental form(s) required by Alabama certification application as well as any supporting document(s)
Many schools of education now offer online MAT programs that provide increased flexibility by allowing aspiring or working teachers to attend class and complete coursework from any location that has an Internet connection. Online MAT programs are a practical option for students who have professional and personal commitments that make it difficult to obtain teaching certification through a full-time program.
The best online programs offer the same curriculum as the school’s on-campus program and apply the same admission requirements. Providing students with the ability to communicate with instructors and classmates in a face-to-face online environment is another hallmark of a good online program. In addition, candidates in online MAT programs should be provided with the opportunity to complete student teaching fieldwork in the local community.