Learn to navigate complex data structures and efficiently retrieve the data needed to answer a question or solve a problem. Explore the types and sources of healthcare data, along with methods for selecting, preparing, querying and transforming healthcare data.
Examine the range of data sources, including:
- Administrative, clinical, patient-reported and external data (e.g., CCDs, HL-7 messages)
- Common representations of data in health information systems (ICD, CPT)
- Strategies for optimizing data quality
- Querying tools and methods
- Data preparation/transformation
- Ethics, data ownership and privacy
Also covered are new models of healthcare data organization and analytics, such as clinical registries and query health.
This is not a self-paced course. Students will progress through the course together. Lessons will be posted one week at a time. The previous week's lesson will remain available for the duration of the course. Students who enroll after the start date of the course will have to contact the instructor regarding missed lessons.